Who can borrow zines?
The collection is easily accessible to anyone with a Barnard or Columbia ID or to people from schools to whom we grant site privileges (e.g. NYU, SHARES institutions). If you are not a member of one of these communities, just contact the Zine Librarian to make an appointment. It's NO BIG DEAL. We just have to let the security attendant know to expect you. If you prefer phone to email, call 212.854.4615.
Where are the zines?
Once you get here, remember that there are two sets of zines: stacks and archives. Stacks are located on the 2nd Floor of the library. There are twice as many zines in the archives and hundreds more that haven't been processed yet and are in the Zine Librarian's office or in Technical Services. If there is something in particular that you are looking for and can't find it, please ask for help at the research desk!
Can the zines be loaned to other libraries?
Stacks zines are available via Interlibrary Loan. Please go through the normal ILL channels at your local library.
- Access Columbia Libraries Online Catalog (CLIO)
- Enter the name of the zine, omitting the initial article (a, an, the, el, la, etc...)
- If you don't have a title, or want to see a list of Barnard zines (in call number order--more or less alphabetical by author) type in the search box and select Call Number Browse in the In box
- Click on the number in the left column or the Full Title in the second column from the right to see the zine's record.
- Once you're in the record, click on Full View to read an abstract of the zine. (This in an ongoing project, not all zines have abstracts yet.)
You can also do a KEYWORD SEARCH, combining one of these terms:
or just <zine?> (the question mark is for truncation--it will yield results with the word "zine" or "zines" in the citation or abstract)
For example, <zine?> and your topic, e.g. "body image," "privilege," "race," "recipes," "riot grrrl" will yield results that are zines of those topics.
Many zines are not yet cataloged, so if you are looking for a particular title or topic that is not in CLIO, please ask for help, or look through our FAQ here.