Looking for an intership for the Fall 2011 semester? The Lesbian HERstory Achives need you!
Lesbian Herstory Archives Special Project Internships - Summer - Fall 2011
The Lesbian Herstory Archives is looking for 3 library and/or archives student interns for a five-month period (August 15 - December 15, 2011) for a series of special projects.
We are looking for interns who have a documented interest in Lesbian Studies and Women's History and a articulated familiarity with Lesbian activism, advocacy and civil rights activities.
Students must be currently enrolled in school (course credit and letters of recommendation will be provided). Interns can work during evenings or on weekends as needed.
Completion of core graduate library school classes plus, either an Introduction to Cataloging or Introduction to Archives course plus something similar to: Library Management, Digitization & Preservation, Digital Libraries or Social Media in Libraries.
Periodicals - 1 Space
Interns will be processing, cataloging and creating a collection guide to the "Periodicals" collection. This will involve organizing hard-copy materials, scanning and digitization, indexing, data transfer and database cleanup in LHA catalog and preparing materials for shipment to off-site storage as needed.
Film/Video - 1 Space
Interns will be processing, cataloging and creating a collection guide to the "Film/Video" collection. This will involve organizing tapes and film canisters, scanning and digitization promotional materials, indexing, data transfer and database cleanup in the LHA catalog and preparing materials for shipment to off-site storage as needed.
OPAC Working Group - 1 Space
Interns will assist the OPAC Working Group with database cleanup, OPAC design (creation, implementation, testing) indexing, cataloging and website maintenance. Interns will also participate in the OPAC roll out promotion and demonstration.
General Internship Activities
· collections processing
· cataloging and indexing
· participation in the OPAC development committee
· preparation of printed and online collection guides
· Intermediate proficiency with MS Office for Windows : Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Experience with Adobe Acrobat and/or Photoshop
· Experience with Integrated Library Systems, Databases and CMS
· Ability to trouble-shoot basic office equipment: scanner, printer, photocopier, fax, etc.
· Experience with Google Docs and other Cloud-based Applications
· Experience with Tumblr, Wordpress, Facebook, Twitter,
· Experience with Constant Contact, Emma, MailChimp or another email marketing service
Time Commitment & Responsibilities
· Interns must be available for a minimum of 10 hours per week
· Interns are expected to participate in programming for LGBT History month.
· Interns will contribute pieces to the LHA newsletter (all submissions will be credited)
Interns will be supervised by a combination of Archives staff members according to the area in which they are working including two professional librarians. Interns will meet regularly to discuss ongoing projects, progress and explore questions, concerns, etc.
Intern candidates should send a cover letter and resume specifying areas of interest and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates are encouraged to indicate their familiarity with the Archives, background, areas of interest and proposed internship schedule and school-specific requirements.
A phone interview will be conducted for each eligible candidate after the submission deadline has passed and then followed up with an on-site interview.
The Archives cannot provide housing for interns. We can, however, provide documentation of acceptance as an intern for any personal grants or fellowship funds for which a candidate may have applied.
August 6, 2011