Create a part of Herstory and make zines with Lesbian Herstory Archives on Sunday, June 5 from 12:00-5:00.
Check out For the Birds! It is an NYC-based feminist collective and zine distro - from their "About" section, they are self-described as:
FOR THE BIRDS is a New York City-based feminist collective. We work towards establishing alternative spaces that promote the creative interests of women-identified* community members. For the Birds is a collaborative group of organizers with backgrounds in feminism, social justice work, and various artistic pursuits. Through DIY feminist cultural activism, For The Birds aims to empower and support radical women of action.
(In short, they're just awesome.)
-- Jordan A.
Márcio Sno, Brazilian documentary film maker recently launched a new documentary, "Last Century Zinesters," in January this year. Check it out on Vimeo at http://vimeo.com/22319370!
This documentary is aimed at showcasing Brazilian zine-making before the advent of computers and the internet. "Last Century Zinesters" includes interviews with 21 zine creators that worked in the days of typewriters and cut and paste. You can expect to enjoy the '80s and '90s flashbacks that this film provides, and get an in-depth look at the people behind the pages.
Hey there! It's time for the abstracting report - this week we have a plethora of perzines and political zines for your perusal.
Let's Talk About Consent, Baby by Honor |
Listen to Me Whine #6 by Michelle |
Lite by Nadia Yaron |
Living Doll Disaster by Jennifer Whiteford |
Lollygag by Deanna Lehman |
Lost Star Found by Mary Fraser |
Loud As Hell by Anne and Jenna |
Loudmouth! by Claire Sewell |
Love Bubbles by Ellisa Goldberg |
Love Letter by Thara Harris |
Love Letters to Monsters #3/Alabama Girl #9 (split zine) by Ciara Xyerra and Aleicia Ruscin |
Love Like Pop by Rachael Kuan |
Lovely Ugly Cruel World: The Halloween Episode by Amanda Rehagen |
Lovesongs by Laura Nicole Faulds |
Mind Maps by Robin Sarah Cameron |
Mindfill #1 by Kisah Feder |
Minimum Rock n Roll by Allison |
Mischa by Natascha |
Miss Mary Mack #4, #5 by Marina Vishmidt |
Miss Sequential #3, S.F. 2009 by Marissa Falco |
Mistake by Sarah Gion |
More Signs You Do A Zine by Davida Gypsy Breier |
I'm excited to see that one of my favorite zinesters/minicomics artists, Katy Weselcouch, is about to publish her first book, a graphic novel The Floundering Time. Among our Zine Collection holdings for Katy are a zine called The Floundering Time, Katy's popular high school zine Jellybean, several Punk Boys titles, and a few others about or based on her study abroad (from Smith College) in Paris.
Hey there! Here are the new zine abstracts in the collection this week, including many comics and litzines - check it out!
There are new abstracts in CLIO for the following zines:
- Cherry #5/Jellybean #15 (split zine) by Kate K. & Katy Weselcouch
- Flaming Eggs #6 by Hilary Davis
- Hip Hop Punk Rock Power! (issued with Plunger)
- Homo Health and Fitness
- I Had a Great Ride! by Veronica Liu
- I Play Life, and Grow by Meghan Lake
- I Think So by Esther Singer
- I Was Not Mommie's Lil' Angel... Not Even Close by Taryn Hipp
- Iceblink by Renee
- Ilse Content by Alexis Wolf
- Imaginary Windows #5 by Erin Fae
- (In Parens) or How to Be a Writer and Have Really Bad Sex by Megan Honig
- In the Backseat by Muffie White
- In the Humor for a Tumor by Rebecca Katherine Hirsch
- In Transition by Lauren Michele Fardig
- Incommunicado #6 by Maya Raye
- Indie Rock 2 Tha Max by Becky Cloonan
- Infandum! Adventures in Intoxication by Molly Lawless
- Insipid #4, #5 by Allison Reach
- Inkling by Melissa Klein
- Inner Monologue #6 by SaraEllen
- Inside the Test #2 by Jaime de Anda
- Inspiration Finally Came... by Angee
- Inspiration Point by Amy Antonissen
- Insterbate & Destroy
- Invasion of the Killer Slut Monkey #2, #3 by Jaime de Anda
- It's Not the End of the World!: Building a Life with Limp Wrists by Ocean Capewell
- Karin and Elizabeth in Clubland by Gillian Beck
- Ker-bloom! #27, #35, #36, #57, #58, #72 by artnoose
Posted with permission:
My name is Lydia Love, and I am producing an Experimental Erotic Performance Art Festival in March. This is a huge project of mine, and for two of the events, I want to hire a Zine/Minicomics Artist to create something capturing their experience. One event will be a Panel Discussion on Intimacy & Art on March 16th, and the other is a workshop called Un-Idealizing Sex on March 19th. Both events will be at the WOW Cafe Theater in Manhattan's East Village.