I'm excited to see that one of my favorite zinesters/minicomics artists, Katy Weselcouch, is about to publish her first book, a graphic novel The Floundering Time. Among our Zine Collection holdings for Katy are a zine called The Floundering Time, Katy's popular high school zine Jellybean, several Punk Boys titles, and a few others about or based on her study abroad (from Smith College) in Paris.
"doubts started to creep in at me today, as i looked through my zine collection and noticed how few of those zines are still publishing. what was i doing, starting now?
Hey there! Here are the new zine abstracts in the collection this week, including many comics and litzines - check it out!
Saturday, March 19th, 7 PM
JustSeeds & Books Through Bars present…
VOICES FROM OUTSIDE
An Art Exhibit & Benefit Auction to send books to prisoners
The complete Voices From Outside: Artists Against the Prison Industrial Complex created by the JustSeeds Collective for the 10th anniversary of Critical Resistance.
At the Not An Alternative/Change You Want To See Gallery
84 Havemeyer Street, Williamsburg Brooklyn
L to Bedford, J to Marcy, or G to Metropolitan
This exhibit, installed on the occasion of the Barnard Center for Research on Women Scholar & Feminist Conference, "Movements: Politics, Performance and Disability," seeks to shed light on the voices of women living and working with disabilities-telling their stories via the D.I.Y. mythos of the personal , self-published zine.
Bluestockings, 172 Allen St., Manhattan
Friday, February 25th @ 7PM - $5 Suggested
There are new abstracts in CLIO for the following zines:
- Cherry #5/Jellybean #15 (split zine) by Kate K. & Katy Weselcouch
- Flaming Eggs #6 by Hilary Davis
- Hip Hop Punk Rock Power! (issued with Plunger)
- Homo Health and Fitness
- I Had a Great Ride! by Veronica Liu
- I Play Life, and Grow by Meghan Lake
- I Think So by Esther Singer
- I Was Not Mommie's Lil' Angel... Not Even Close by Taryn Hipp
- Iceblink by Renee
- Ilse Content by Alexis Wolf
- Imaginary Windows #5 by Erin Fae
- (In Parens) or How to Be a Writer and Have Really Bad Sex by Megan Honig
- In the Backseat by Muffie White
- In the Humor for a Tumor by Rebecca Katherine Hirsch
- In Transition by Lauren Michele Fardig
- Incommunicado #6 by Maya Raye
- Indie Rock 2 Tha Max by Becky Cloonan
- Infandum! Adventures in Intoxication by Molly Lawless
- Insipid #4, #5 by Allison Reach
- Inkling by Melissa Klein
- Inner Monologue #6 by SaraEllen
- Inside the Test #2 by Jaime de Anda
- Inspiration Finally Came... by Angee
- Inspiration Point by Amy Antonissen
- Insterbate & Destroy
- Invasion of the Killer Slut Monkey #2, #3 by Jaime de Anda
- It's Not the End of the World!: Building a Life with Limp Wrists by Ocean Capewell
- Karin and Elizabeth in Clubland by Gillian Beck
- Ker-bloom! #27, #35, #36, #57, #58, #72 by artnoose
Posted with permission:
My name is Lydia Love, and I am producing an Experimental Erotic Performance Art Festival in March. This is a huge project of mine, and for two of the events, I want to hire a Zine/Minicomics Artist to create something capturing their experience. One event will be a Panel Discussion on Intimacy & Art on March 16th, and the other is a workshop called Un-Idealizing Sex on March 19th. Both events will be at the WOW Cafe Theater in Manhattan's East Village.